American National University has a rich history of diversity and we appreciate the cultural perspective our international students bring to our classrooms. If you have successfully graduated from a secondary school, ANU is ready to help you start the next level of your education in America.
Do I speak English well enough to study at American National University?
There are several ways (see below) our international students demonstrate their proficiency in the English language – but even if you do not meet one of these requirements – American National University has an English as a Second Language learning program available to help our international students get to the level they need in order to succeed in their classes. Once you have submitted your application, you can be provisionally accepted into a program and enrolled in a course at our English Language Institute that will help you build the foundation you need to succeed in an English-speaking educational program.
Demonstrate English Language Proficiency
- Undergraduate Degree: A minimum score of 57 on the paper-delivered Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 61 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), a 6.0 on the International English Language Test (IELTS), 44 on the Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report; 95 on the Duolingo English Test; or 53 on the 4-skill Michigan English Test (MET), or 650/LP on the Michigan Examination for the Certificate of Competency in English (ECCE), or 650/LP on the Michigan Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE). A high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
- Master’s Degree: A minimum score of 60 on the paper-delivered Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 71 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), a 6.5 on the International English Language Test (IELTS), 50 on the Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report; 100 on the Duolingo English Test; or 55 on the 4-skill Michigan English Test (MET), or 650/LP on the Michigan Examination for the Certificate of Competency in English (ECCE), or 650/LP on the Michigan Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE).
- A minimum score on the College Board Accuplacer ESL Exam Series as follows:
- ESL Language Use: Score of 85
- ESL Listening: Score of 80
- ESL Reading: Score of 85
- ESL Sentence Meaning: Score of 90
- ESL Writeplacer: Score of 4; Comprehensive Score for all exams of 350
- A minimum grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam.
- A minimum B-2 English proficiency level identified within the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) standards and assessed through various ESOL examinations, including the University of Cambridge.
- A transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester credit hours with an average grade of “C” or higher at an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Secretary of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or accepted foreign equivalent that is listed in the International Handbook of Universities where the language of instruction was English. A “B” or higher is required for master’s degree, first professional degree, or professional doctoral degree.
** If you do not yet fulfill any of the above requirements – American National University’s English Language Institute can help you successfully pass the TOEFL® or IELTS®.
Additional Admissions Requirements for International Students Taking the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program.
- Provide documentation of a current, unencumbered license to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in at least one U.S. state or provide evidence of a nursing license comparable to a U.S. registered nurse license (RN) from the nation, province, or region where you are employed as a nurse. Proof of foreign licensure must be submitted at the time of enrollment
- Applicants whose language of instruction is not English are required to take one of the following English proficiency tests and achieve the listed minimum score
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum acceptable score of 500 for the paper-based test or 61 for those completing the Internet-based examination.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum acceptable score of 6.0.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) with a minimum acceptable score of 44.
List of Important Application Documents
ANU International Admissions address:
International Admissions Office
American National University
1813 East Main Street
Salem, VA 24153 U.S.A.