The Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies builds upon the associate degree program for students who do not wish to pursue a law degree, providing an alternative to a legal education where they will learn the law, legal procedures, practices, organizational and analytical skills, and real-world issues necessary to work in careers that require skilled legal professionals.
With our bachelor’s degree program, you will gain the career skills needed to succeed in career fields such as human resources, legislative affairs, mediation / arbitration / conciliation, social work, government relations, compliance, law enforcement at all levels from local to federal agencies, real estate, and other careers that utilize legal knowledge and skills in their profession.
Upon successful completion of this degree program, students will be able to:
1. Conduct independent legal research using resources to correctly identify and obtain the relevant legal authority for resolution and case law analysis; formulate and apply legal terminology, principles of law, and rules of ethics to factual situations
2. Interpret the types of substantive and procedural law, factual situations, and determine the appropriate courts and agencies for enforcement.
3. Explain the difference between criminal and civil law and interpret various categories of civil law, such as torts, contract law, corporate law, property law, family law, and wills and estates.
4. Compose legal and non‐legal documents
The Bachelor of Legal Studies program is available online through ANU’s eUniversity. With our distance learning program, we bring the university to you. You can take all the required classes online with videoconferencing or other interactive video systems.
Why American National University?
Convenience and flexibility – With day and evening classes¹ you have the flexibility to work as you earn your degree.
Personal attention – You’re not just a face in a crowd, our small class sizes allow for personal attention from instructors.
Career professionals as instructors – With current and relevant curricula, you will learn from instructors with real-world field experience who will guide and mentor you.
Career services – Our career services team starts to help you before you graduate with your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques and how to search for great career opportunities.
Alumni benefits – Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher² courses available throughout your career.
· ¹Refresher training is tuition-free for qualified students. Additional costs such as lab fees, books and supplies are the responsibilities of the student. Retraining is limited to the program from which the student graduated and is subject to space available.