To Students, Graduates, and Prospective Students:
You may be aware that the United States Department of Education, through the CARES Act passed by Congress and signed by the President, is providing funds to assist students who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. American National University has been notified that between its Virginia and Kentucky campuses approximately $1 million has been made available for distribution to attending students.
While many, many details have yet to be worked out, this is what I can generally announce to you today:
- We are awaiting further distribution rules and processes from the United States Department of Education.
- We expect the funds to be available for initial distribution beginning in early May.
- There is no doubt that everyone has been affected by this pandemic in one way or another. Some have lost jobs, some have additional childcare expenses, and some were affected earlier than others. For many of us the effects of the pandemic will continue for a number of months. Therefore, we expect the funds that are available will be distributed equitably over the next few months to attending students.
- These funds are made available to students for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare, and childcare.
- The institution has discretion to determine the amount of each individual emergency assistance grant consistent with all applicable laws, including nondiscrimination laws.
- Using an approximation at this point and depending on how many terms a student attends in the next 4 to 6 months at American National University, the amount available to an individual full-time student may range from $250 to $1300.
- Students attending during Terms 202, 203, 204, 205 and possibly 206 may see these funds distributed to them.
- Receipt of these CARES grants by student will not result in any changes to the student’s current award of Title IV grants and loans. They will be made over and above any existing financial aid awards.
While we await detailed instructions from the United States Department of Education, please be assured that we will work diligently to ensure that these funds begin to be received by the students as soon as possible.
We will keep you informed as we move forward in this process.
American National University